- 1 1/3 pounds fish fillet (cod, rockfish, halibut)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Scant ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups whole or reduced-fat milk
- ¼ cup fine, dry bread crumbs (fresh or prepared)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-½ tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1-½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Hot, white basmati rice
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the fish into 4 serving pieces and put into a baking dish. Put salt, black and cayenne peppers and turmeric in a 2-cup measure. Whisk a little milk into the spices to blend, then whisk in remaining milk. Pour over fish and set aside 15 minutes.
2. Line a large baking dish with aluminum foil and set aside. Spread bread crumbs on a plate. Lift fish out of milk and dust both sides with bread crumbs. (Reserve milk.) Set in prepared baking dish and dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake about 12 minutes per inch of thickness, or until cooked through.
3. While the fish is baking, pour milk marinade into a measuring cup and warm in a microwave, or warm in a saucepan on the stove. In a separate saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. When bubbling, whisk in curry powder and cumin. Stir briefly, then whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk warm milk into the pan. When sauce is beginning to bubble, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir often to keep sauce from sticking to the pan. Stir in cilantro or parsley and lemon juice. Spoon some of sauce over fish and serve the remaining in a bowl to the side to spoon over fish and rice.
Data per serving
Saturated fat 8.49g
Monounsaturated fat 4.30g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.04g
From "Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking."