Capitol Hill Fire Ruled Accident

SEATTLE - The cause of yesterday's early morning apartment fire on Capitol Hill was ruled an accident, said Sheila Strehle, Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman.

Damage was estimated at $300,000.

The fire was determined to have started when embers, either from a cigarette or barbecue grill, dropped onto the wood decking on the roof of the apartment. The roof has an enclosed patio area with a wood deck for residents' use.

The fire damage was contained to the roof of one of the building's two sections, but a sprinkler caused extensive damage as water trickled down into all five floors of the 38-unit wing, Strehle said.

Over 30 residents were evacuated from The Parc On Summit apartments at 1614 Summit Ave. at 1:55 a.m. yesterday, and until the building is repaired, residents will not be able to return. The American Red Cross had made temporary arrangements for the residents