Recipes on this page were developed or tested by CeCe Sullivan of The Times food staff and were evaluated by staff members.
ITALIAN BEAN AND POTATO SOUP WITH KALE 6 servings; 10 minutes preparation time, 45 minutes cooking time
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, undrained
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 small red or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 large red potato (about 1/2 pound), diced
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
1 cup water
4 cups chopped kale leaves
Optional: 6 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1. Pour the tomatoes into a bowl and break up with your fingers. Set aside.
2. Empty one of the cans of beans onto a large plate and mash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
3. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add red onion, cover pan and cook 5 minutes; stir occasionally. Add garlic, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and rosemary; cover and continue cooking 5 minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, mashed beans, can of whole beans, potato, broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in kale leaves and cook 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with Romano just before serving.
Data per serving Calories 302 Protein 15.6g Fat 2.5g Carbohydrates 57.7g Sodium 1256mg Saturated fat 0.40g Monounsaturated fat 1.18g Polyunsaturated fat 0.57g Cholesterol 0mg