2 Charged In Shooting After Concert -- Pair Alleged To Have Fired At Crowd, Police

A Bremerton man and his teenage companion have been charged with first-degree assault for their alleged roles in a drive-by shooting at two Seattle Police detectives in Saturday night's melee outside the Paramount Theatre.

Authorities are still trying to sort out details and other potential suspects.

In the brawl, five people were wounded and more than 50 bullets were fired around a rap concert crowd of about 350.

Kevin Darnell Jackson, 21, will be arraigned Monday in King County Superior Court on two counts of first-degree assault for allegedly firing .44-caliber bullets at Detectives John Mooney and Mike Ciesynski.

Jackson's 16-year-old companion, who apparently was driving the car from which the bullets were fired, was charged with one count of first-degree assault.

Prosecutors will ask that the Bremerton teenager, who was wounded when officers returned fire, be tried as an adult.

King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Kerry Keefe said the detectives and their sergeant, David Ritter, were fired on from different directions when they initially tried to arrest Jackson and the teenager.

In a related incident, another 16-year-old was charged with reckless endangerment for allegedly firing a Colt .45 into a crowd from the Camlin Hotel parking lot.

In all, three people were shot, one was stabbed and one was hit by a car. Two of those people required hospital treatment.

Keefe said the concert had just concluded when the detectives responded to a report of a stabbing. Minutes after they arrived, gunfire erupted.

The detectives went to the corner of Ninth Avenue and Pine Street and saw a Monte Carlo slowly pass them. The detectives say Jackson, leaning out a window to his waist, fired into the crowd and then at them.

As the bullets struck a car parked behind them, the officers returned fire, striking the teenager who was driving. The car, said Keefe, then gained speed, crashed into a parked car and struck a 20-year-old man.

The man was listed in satisfactory condition at Harborview Medical Center.

After gunfire died down, police arrested Jackson and four passengers and recovered a .44-caliber gun with five spent casings, a .38-caliber semiautomatic handgun, and a 9 mm pistol, Keefe said.

Deputy Prosecutor Tammi Perdue, who filed charges against the teenager, said a witness told authorities that Jackson's car was driving no faster than 15 mph when the officers were fired on.

Keefe, noting that the fracases appeared to be gang-related, is asking that Jackson be held on $200,000 bail.

Witnesses and police have said the trouble started when alleged gang members began displaying gang hand signs as headliner Ice Cube took the stage.

A fight began inside the theater about 9:30 p.m. When the concert ended a half-hour later, people spilled out into the street and theater parking lot and the shooting began.

Police have released four other people arrested at the scene, but prosecutors say more charges could soon be filed.